Friday, September 5, 2008

Curse, common', curse, you can do it!

I love this place, for its people are certainly among the nicest folks I have met so far. But too nice can get too much, too. Decoding the social behavior of people that are nice all the time, no matter what, can be quite a complex task - especially as a foreigner (a smart-panty-ass would call it a conundrum - a word I learned thanx to the funky GRE).
With the NC folk, you are clueless as to where you stand. "Buttface - Thank you Sir", ""Ratass - It is my pleasure". Whatever one says or does, they'll smile and kiss your butt. Sure thing, it's quite cool to be around seemingly happy folks - but they abuse my goddamn patience! For I'm a French, f*ck, and I like it that way, "merde alors". I curse, it's part of my cultural heritage, and I like to tell people "in your face" how I feel about them. Don't waste his Hollyness' precious time (the Hollyness in this context is your devoted author).
Now, I certainly do believe that natives have an inner compass, a sort of affinity to understand the nuances in the way people are being pleasant, but as a French, I do lack the most rudimentary skills in this art. For in my country, people who dislike you will make you feel so. The same accounts if you're appreciated; you won't have an ounce of doubt about that (take your hands off my girl friend's ass - this goes too far).
I guess it will take some time to develop this art, but I do hope it comes rather sooner than later. I mean, is this hot thing smiling at me because I'm so charmingly French - or would she even smile with mine having half an ounce of salad between my teeth?

No comments: