Monday, September 1, 2008

No Car, No Life - Or a fool's journey to the pharmacy

The duck s*cks. We are in America man, and you're a fullblown man only once you own a car. Forgetting this very principle translates into immediate physical pain. And I felt it - right into my face. But to my defence, the distance looked tiny on GoogleMaps, just a few blocks.
Well, a few blocks it might have been, but those few blocks, my friend, taken off the map and down to the street, was clearly a distance equal to the one from the campus to the moon. No kidding. No joking. No nothing. 'Cause I certainly wasn't kidding when I realized how little progress I had made when I walked towards my destination (the Cargods are laughing right now - harhar, there's a human being stupid enough to walk in America).
But let me just go a few steps back. The reason for my sudden wandering in and around Durham county was very much down-to-earth. I needed some pain killers for my headache and wanted to find a pharmacy. A friend told me that I could get some around Hillsdale Rd (or something that very much sounded like Hillsdale). The assiduous observer would have noted the word "around". Because "around" here means a lot of things. Around is no problem when you have a car and can make turns and stuff lie that. Around, however, is a seriously different thing when you are WALKING - you know, the art of setting a foot in front of the other. Felt like some sick game out of a SAW movie. I mean seriously sick. Between two buildings here in industrial Durham are vaste noman's lands larger than Texas. So approximations are simply not acceptable.
Once I scribbled down the address, I checked out Google and took the campus transit as far off-campus limit as it would take me (which is not very far). From then on, I walked. And walked. And walked. It first took me to a highway junction, then below a bridge, and a further few miles in the wrong direction. And here the "around" comes into play. Because indeed, the pharmacy was "around" the said area, but a friendly passerby would eventually confess that I should have taken a left some one mile earlier. So back I went, back towards that highway junction and that big empty nothing, and that bridge to somewhere. The horizon was just crazy far away, and there was literally nothing between me and the horizon.
The odyssey ended three and a half hours later, at a bus stop that took me from the pharmacy... back to campus.
Below the picture-book of my odyssey:

No comments: