Sunday, February 15, 2009

The days back in highschool

I've got a new friend. And she used to be a cheerleader. Now, we had no such thing in France: no football or basketball teams, and, unfortunately, no cheerleaders. I know this sounds terribly trivial - I might actually sound like a moron - that a 27 year old guy is all fascinated by the whole thing about hers being a cheerleader, but I can't do anything about it (and, as you'd guess, I don't fuckin' care what my fellow readers might think)...

Anyway, so she used to be a cheerleader. And everytime I see her, I can't do anything about it but imagine her in a tight red and gold outfit with pompoms and all and stretching her leg way up there and doing all the things cheerleaders do. Now, she's not only pretty (although that's very obviously what this is all about), but she'd kick your butt anytime, too. ANYWAY, the whole cheerleader thing is just insane!

In high school, we had pretty girls in little girly gangs that were hot and all (and they would RULE and all), but by no means did they had any tacit recognition as being THE crowd. From the little I know about American education, there's pretty much such a thing as THE crowd. So, when cheerleaders are in, then I'd guess that the pinnacle- the paroxysm, to use a fancy word - would be to date one. I was fortunate to date a really social girl back in '98 - but she didn't have the damn pompoms. Now I feel my education to be incomplete just because of that...

This makes me thing of Jennifer, which was THE girl back in HS. Legends were circulating on her account, and if we'd transpose our French highschool into an American version of it, I'd be pretty damn sure she would be the head-cheerleader (if such a thing exists). And all the guys would (and did) want to date her. I was looking her all the time way then in math class and imagining the wildest stuff - but hey, she was way up there, and as Wheatus would put it, I wouldn't have dared to ask her out for a Iron Maiden concert. After the Josephine disaster (see previous post, feb. 13), this is the second time that my fomer cowardly attitude led to a scandalous regret...

No comments: