Friday, February 13, 2009

Why have a heart when a heart can be broken?

Josephine... Long, waivy dark hair, light blue eyes, blood red lips, and a shy smile that would make any one man loose his confidence. And I did have none whenever I crossed her path back then, in the good old days in high school.

Josephine, her very name still inspires the most compromising feelings. My first big love. An artist, a true one, with soul and body. And a body, she had one that would make me daydream whenever I would sit in a chemistry or math class, longing for her soft white skin. Okay, I'm getting dangerously off-track.

But hey, I was in love for nothing less than two years and dared to ask her out once - and once only - and all I got in return was a "maybe". My self-confidence back then was by no means sufficient to pull it through. So I backed off. And God knows how much I do regret it. Ten years later...

One evening, I went to a friend's party, and she would sit all by herself on a couch. I went to sit next to her, and without a word, took her hand into mine, and just smiled. Unfortunately, my then girlfriend would stop by, and I would head off with her. Probably the biggest mistake I ever made. I should have held her hand for the rest of my life, and things would have gone differently... maybe...

No comments: